WHO SHOULD APPLY?
- Companies that are a new, independent enterprise in the seed capital, start-up, or early growth/pre-profit stages.
- Applicants who are at least 18 years of age.
- Companies that have a business plan clearly exhibiting a potential for growth and job creation in the Knoxville, Tennessee MSA (Anderson, Blount, Knox, Loudon, Sevier, and Union Counties).
WHO SHOULDN’T APPLY?
- Companies that are acquisitions or buy-outs.
- Companies that are expansions of existing companies.
- Companies that are considered a franchise.
- Companies that have a licensing agreement for distribution of products and services by others.
- Enterprises that have raised equity capital from sources other than direct members of the venture, their friends, or their families.
- Companies that have already won similar competitions.
- Companies that do not intend to grow in the Knoxville, Tennessee MSA (Anderson, Blount, Knox, Loudon, Sevier, and Union Counties).
WHAT WILL YOUR IDEA BE JUDGED ON?
- Commercial potential (high-potential, growth-oriented, and/or technology-based businesses will be viewed more favorably).
- Innovation and/or technical feasibility.
- Feasibility of a sustainable, competitive advantage.
- Credibility of the company individuals involved for the purposes of implementing the business idea.
- The newness of the concept or plan. (Ideas that have been pitched in multiple local competitions will be viewed less-favorably).
Please read the "Official Rules" for What's the Big Idea?!